Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer: a potentially fatal toy. MJA July 2015

This is an interesting case report of a 3-year-old girl who presented to ED with suspected acute ethanol toxicity from ingestion of an alcohol-based hand sanitiser. She presented with a GCS of 10 and developed hypotension BP 70/22 requiring fluid boluses and peripheral adrenaline infusion. She was admitted to PICU without intubation and discharged 24 hours later. Serum ethanol concentration was 260mg/dL (legal blood ethanol level for drivers is <50mg/dL). This particular sanitiser has 70% ethanol and it is thought that she ingested a total of 55mL. The author highlight the hazards associated with hand sanitiser ingestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment